COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits
While the nonprofit sector is not monolithic, and the way that the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted organizations may vary, there is no question that we are all adjusting and adapting to this new normal. For many organizations that has required really hard conversations about cash position, revenue, and stakeholder engagement. You’ve cancelled events and decreased services, all while your constituents needs increase.
A recent news segment emboldens us all to act: “The consequences of a crisis are determined, in the end, by the quality of our response to it.” We all have a part to play in this response, to ensure that our nonprofit organizations can meet the needs of our communities now and into the future. We hope this page can help as you navigate various resources to best meet the needs of your organization.
Reimagining Your Organization
With the future still uncertain the question remains: How do we adapt to this new world? Some will view this crisis as an opportunity to reimagine their nonprofit organizations and to make the necessary – yet oftentimes difficult – decisions to strengthen long-term sustainability while learning from implementation.
Reimagining your nonprofit organization involves three core aspects—impact, people and finances—all interconnected and influenced by a fourth: the needs and resources of the community.
Tools & Templates
Nonprofit Board Governance Amid Crisis
While COVID-19 continues to disrupt operations, the pandemic is certainly not the last crisis that nonprofit organizations will confront. Responding to crisis is something all organizations will do, and everyone from program assistants to the board chair play a role in. This video series zeroes in on nonprofit board governance amid crisis by providing quick action steps across five areas:
Moving from Sustainability to Survivability
Leading with Impact
Building an Inclusive Strategy
Strengthening the Nonprofit Business Model
Emergency Government Funding (CARES Act)
Many nonprofit leaders have been closely waiting for financial relief from the federal government, and it came in the form of the nearly 900 page CARES Act. The resources below aim to cut through the clutter and help you understand how your organization can take advantage of the loan options offered in this law.
- Updates to PPP parameters (as of 6/4) through Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act.
- National Council of Nonprofits breakdown of loans available.
- Review Independent Sector’s summary of CARES Act provisions for nonprofits.
- Watch the National Council of Nonprofits’ webinar on what the CARES Act means for nonprofits.
Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- Learn more about the Paycheck Protection Program, in which nonprofits with 500 or fewer employees can apply for forgivable loans to make payroll, provide health care benefits, and pay rent.
- Dig into the details of eligibility and terms of forgiveness with this fact sheet from the US Chamber of Commerce.
- Calculate loan amount with this template from FMA.
- Complete the loan application form.
- Estimate the forgivable portion of your loan and complete the loan forgiveness form.
- Check in with your banker to ensure that they are a participating lender.
What other funding opportunities exist in my community?
Many funding partners, including private, corporate, and community foundations are stepping up to support nonprofits with emergency grants.
- The Greater Milwaukee Foundation’s MKE Responds Fund (focus on food, housing, health care, preK-12 education).
- The Greater Green Bay Community Foundation and Green Bay Packers have established Emergency Response and Community Relief Funds (focus on basic needs and direct services).
- Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region’s COVID-19 Community Response Fund.
- Racine Community Foundation and the United Way of Racine created the Racine County COVID-19 Relief Fund.
- Stateline Community Foundation’s Emergency Response Fund.
- Otto Bremer Trust Emergency Fund.
- LaCrosse Area Emergency Response Fund.
- Eau Claire Community Foundation Emergency Grant Cycle.
- Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin’s COVID-19 Community Response Fund.
Where can I stay up to date on the latest coronavirus news?
Several nonprofit-focused organizations have ensured their coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact are partially or completely free for nonprofits.